Polemos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ornaments of the Heart

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ornaments of the Heart Empty Ornaments of the Heart

Post by Laven Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:13 pm

He had woken up several times through the night and into the day. Once when Menel's healer had arrived. A gorgeous woman balancing a toddler on her hip and making crude jokes with Revina while she inspected the wound on Menel's abdomen. He remembered being horrified by the mess that lay under those bandages, gripping Menel's hand and trying to struggle upright only to have the healer fix him with her narrow blue eyes and send him back to sleep with a gentle spell. The last thing he saw was her dark hands brushing over Menel's wounds and the flesh beginning to reform as darkness stole his vision.

He woke again long enough to make sure Menel was passed out before wriggling his way out of the bed to relieve himself and find that the healer had taken care of the wound on his neck as well as soothe his bruises. He finally had the mobility to pull free his ruined shirt and dump it beside the rest of his things before he was back next to Menel. A few soft words to quiet his lover and a hand over his heart and Laven was asleep again, this time much more comfortable as Menel's arms tightened around him.

Laven was sure he must have tossed and turned in his sleep as he always did, and when he woke for the third time to late morning sun in his eyes he was on the other side of his bed, Menel's arm still around him as though the swordsman had followed him through every restless motion.

They had spent an entire day like that, sleeping and as soon as Menel expressed his desire, eating. The sheer amount of food had almost staggered Laven as he watched the swordsman devour it all with single minded purpose. From there it was more sleep for Menel and restive comfort for Laven. The healer returned on the second day and even her scathing humor couldn't dampen the smile on Laven's face when she cleared Menel from being trapped in bed.

"Do exercise some caution, dear Menel." Her voice was a  little smoky as she let herself out of the room and down to where Revina was waiting. Laven had chuckled at her strange bedside manner but had turned to Menel  and brushed a hand through his short white hair before helping him up and finally getting a chance to try and bring life back to normal once more.

Normal for Laven meant filling his time with work. He'd sent Menel down the stairs to eat more and take a bath, only leaving him to his business once the swordsman seemed frustrated that Laven was hovering. So Laven stood now, clean from his own quick shower and holding the ruins of his red shirt while trying to decide if it would be salvageable. He could fix the rent made by wicked teeth but at the same time... Every time he looked at this shirt he would see the blood in it, the way his neck and shoulder had been torn asunder as well.

With a noise of frustration Laven ripped the shirt further, knotting the sleeves and depositing it into a basket filled with refuse from his tailoring work. That was how Menel found him, standing in front of his wardrobe and looking through the clothing there, removing some items and shifting others.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Ornaments of the Heart Empty Re: Ornaments of the Heart

Post by Menel Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:19 am

Once Menel fell asleep with Laven in his arms he was out entirely as he always was. Menel slept like nothing in the world could wake him until the moment that it did. Save for the fact that he clung to Laven and refused to let go of the elf regardless of how much he wiggled. He did wake a when the healer came in. He couldn't help it. The presence of an unfamiliar person woke him more fully and more surely than nearly anything else could have. Rev was with her though so he allowed himself to relax.

In the end he didn't have much choice. She touched him gently and sped him back to sleep even before she sent Laven to his own dreamland. The spell-induced sleep kept him under even when Laven worked himself free of his grasp so he could escape to the restroom. By the time that Laven returned Menel was sleeping less than comfortably. He'd never responded well to magically or medically induced rest. They left him uneasy, so even unconscious he was glad to wrap himself back around the elf. The scent of lavender hair lulling him back to the peaceful darkness.

Menel wasn't entirely sure how long he'd slept, but he woke with a gnawing pit in his stomach that wasn't pain at all but hunger. Laven was more than happy to feed him, but the amount of food that the swordsman ate was three times what he normally did. Which was certainly saying something considering that he could usually eat enough food for three men his size. Honestly he wasn't even sure where all of it went, and he was a little grateful when he was finally full. He might have felt guilty about it, but not more than a few minutes later he was falling asleep again. Menel couldn't mind that so much with Laven at his side.

The next day the healer came and if she hadn't cautioned him he'd have leaped out of the bed in sheer joy of being able to leave it. The first thing he did was head downstairs for the shower he'd missed yesterday. It felt amazingly good to get the sweat and lingering scent of blood off of himself. By the time he got done showering he was half starving again. Which is how he ended up down in the kitchen eating everything else that Laven owned.

Really Menel wasn't that frustrated with Laven hovering, he liked the elf's presence. He was embarrassed though by how much he was eating and the fact that it'd take him forever to pay all of this back. Finally he managed to convince his stomach that he didn't need anything else to eat, and after washing the dishes he headed back upstairs. He wasn't actually feeling tired, but considering that he'd been sleeping for how long now? It wasn't really surprising. Maybe he should go downstairs for some practice?

Do exercise some caution, dear Menel. Or maybe not. Menel pushed the door open. He hadn't really thought about it, but he'd headed right back to Laven's room. They'd shared it last night and he couldn't help glancing at the bed.

He didn't want to sleep alone.

The swordsman's eyes shifted away over to where Laven was standing, and just looking at the elf shift through all of his clothes with an air of discontentment made Menel smile.
"Can't find what you're looking for?"
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:02 pm

Laven looked over his shoulder at Menel and gave him a lopsided smile. He paused for a moment from his sorting to take in Menel's stance and expression. To see the way he seemed completely healthy now that the healer had come and gone. He spared a moment to thank the dark woman who had sent her ridiculously high bill to Laven and resolutely decided it was worth the money he had lost.

Finally he answered Menel's question, turning back to take a pale shirt out of the wardrobe and place it on the steadily growing pile at his feet.
"Would you laugh if I said I was trying to make room for your things in here?"

He had been thinking about it, the entire second day that Menel slept while Laven watched over him. That Menel had called this place home. That his first thought once he'd been able to move was to come here and to him. That night the had both been emotional wrecks, feeding off of each other and making the whole situation worse than it should have been. But it had brought important things to light. They loved each other. They wanted to be close.

Why should Menel be delegated to a guest room in that case? They'd shared a bed enough times that it would be odder to send the swordsman away. Laven turned to face Menel, licking his lower lip with a touch of anxiety as his fingers played with the material of another shirt.
"Only if you'd like to share my space, of course. But if this is home, you should be able to treat it that way instead of keeping your things tucked in a corner like a guest ready to leave." Red eyes flicked to the bundle that was Menel's pack still tucked away in the corner where Menel had dropped it.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:04 am

Laven's smile made Menel's widen even more. He looked so beautiful when he smiled. Well, he was always beautiful, but he was even more so when he smiled. The elf turned back to his closet without answering the question, pulling out a shirt and posing one of his own that had Menel tilting his head a little while his heart rate picked up.

"Of course not." Why would he laugh at that? His first thought really wasn't that Laven was offering to let him actually stay in the room, or sleep beside him every night. Just that the elf was going to make space in this closet for him. But... the thought that Laven might filled him will a swell of hope that he couldn't suppress.

So really he wasn't sure why Laven looked a little anxious. Not until the other man spoke again and Menel's smile spread across his face even as he moved closer to the elf.
"I'd love to." His expression softened slightly and he quite naturally wrapped his arms around Laven. It felt comfortable to hug him. "That's... the nicest thing anyone's ever offered to me."

He hadn't shared space with another living being since... he was a child. But here he was and he'd already fallen asleep laying next to the other man so many times. When he was alone... he felt the lack of Laven's presence like an aching emptiness to familiar to be comfortable. "I promise not to make a mess." He grinned roguishly. Menel glanced around the room quickly then back to Laven a little more seriously though now there was red starting to stain his cheeks. A red that deepened and deepened quickly. "Would you... mind if... I slept in here too?"

The last bit was said in a bit of a rush his blush reaching the edges of his ears but... Even if Laven let him sleep in a bedroll in the corner...

Last edited by Menel on Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:01 pm

With a snort Laven draped the shirt in his hands over Menel's head like a cowl before wrapping his own arms around the swordsman. "Menel if I was sending you to the guestroom to stay I wouldn't be making space for you here as well. Of course you can sleep in the loft." Menel was a comfortable presence in bed, warm-blooded just like Laven but also... comforting. The few times they had slept together had certainly done nothing to kill Laven's chronic nightmares. But waking up and knowing that Menel was still there and still wrapped around him like a living blanket meant the fear and panic in his chest vanished almost instantly.

He tugged the  fabric down past Menel's blushing face before kissing him through the shirt and chuckling.
"I would be quite happy to have you here with me, Love. You're a welcome addition that I severely doubt will make any more of a mess than I already do."

The pile of clothing at their feet spoke to that. Laven's work space mingled with his living space and while the tailor wasn't known to invite clutter in sometimes he had very carefully balanced chaos as fabrics and papers became spread out to allow him to work his magic.

His other profession was mostly kept in the large office downstairs where Revina prowled.

"So do you have anything you'd like to put in here? There's space to store your travel gear but I think we might have to find a more suitable location for your armour and spare weaponry." Laven managed to turn in Menel's embrace, looking at the space he'd made that gave Menel roughly half of the wardrobe for himself. Menel seemed to carry everything he owned in the bags or on his person. And what he owned was sparse in comparison to Laven's collection. But maybe he just needed somewhere to keep things for him to feel comfortable collecting them.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:18 pm

Menel made an amused noise as Laven draped the shirt over his head. At least it covered the flush on his cheeks, making him feel a little less self-conscious about it. What helped even more was the way that Laven so easily dismissed any thought he'd had about being uncertain if he could actually sleep in the same room as the other man. The other details didn't matter so much to the swordsman.

Laven pulled the shirt further down and kissed him through the cloth before tugging it lower.
"Well I'm pretty good about cleaning up after myself." Which was something of an understatement. The swordsman always cleaned up after himself, and often other people also. Not that it was usually necessary with Laven who was almost as neat as he was. Perhaps it was a condition of both of them being fighters, but Menel knew that his own tendency to clean up didn't come from his years of training with a sword.

The elf turned in his grasp and Menel automatically pressed his cheek gently against the other man's hair. It put Laven's ear temptingly close but Menel ignored the playful temptation for the moment in order to pay attention to what the elf was saying.
"I don't have anything else but what's in my pack." He had seven days worth of clothes if he stretched them a bit all neatly rolled up beside his camping gear. Since he wasn't working today he was just in jeans and a tee-shirt, letting his armor hang out to dry while it could. The only other things he had were the swords constantly belted around his waist. Even in the comfort of this place he considered home Menel almost never walked around without them.

Frankly, there was almost a level of obsession in how careful Menel was about having the blades close at hand. When he showered they were just outside the bath tub. When he slept they were leaning against the headboard of whatever bed he was sleeping in, and those were the only times he was ever without them. The only time he'd ever been more than a arms-length from the blades was when he trained with Laven or Rev. Then they rested against the wall where he did not have to worry about drawing one on instinct.

Menel made an amused noise.
"I guess I don't really know where in a house those sorts of things go. Rev leaves hers laying out on the table or desk half the time, and I think I'd like to keep mine separate from hers." He chuckled good-naturedly. "I could unpack my clothes at least, but I think they could use a through washing before they get put anywhere close to your things."

Everything Menel owned had a well-worn air to it. The swordsman shifted away with one last squeeze so that he could rifle through his things a bit. Most of the things he owned were a bit frayed around the edges though never showing any actual holes... Menel frowned at the pair of pants that he'd just pulled out, noting that blood that stained the upper edge of the waistband. No amount of cleaning was going to get the stain out. It was the pair he'd been wearing the day that he'd fought the wolfanthrope. If he hadn't spent so long in bed afterwards he would have cleaned the pants but now... they were ruined.

He set them aside and unpacked the rest, noting that he needed new socks as well and that one of his shirts was showing signs that it could use repair. As if he hadn't just spent the better part of what he had saved on medical expenses already. Not to mention how much he must owe Laven. Menel sighed. Cleaning everything would have to wait a little while. Rougishly he smiled at Laven, trying to hide the edge of worry underneath of it and failing as he always did.
"I guess I didn't realize how long it'd been since I replaced some of my clothes." He started shoving things back into his pack almost on reflex. They weren't clean yet, and he didn't want them next to Laven's until they were.

The swordsman was just... having a bit of a rough patch. Between returning the money from the job that Laven had ended, this more recent one, and not taking another job in-between because of the threat of assassins Menel was a bit lower on funds than he was even used to being. He popped back to his feet.
"Washing will have to wait. I'm going to have to run out and see if I can find a good deal on a few replacements somewhere." He could cut into his food budget. Since Laven was kind enough to feed him the swordsman had a bit of a surplus there. He'd just help out around the house more. Maybe talk Laven into letting him paint it.
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:29 pm

"Revina is a slob, it's atrocious." The derisive snort Laven made was tempered by the mirth in his eyes, and he followed Menel as he began to sort through his pack. Sharp eyes looked over the bloodstained pants and resolved to take them as soon as he had a chance. Menel looked defeated by the sight of all his clothing practically in rags, and Laven knew he could at least take care of the stains enough that Menel could wear them again.

Leaning over Menel's shoulder Laven cataloged what Menel had as he did the same, building a list of items the swordsman could really use if these were all the clothing to his name.
"It looks like we had better get you replacements for a lot of these, mmm? What do you say, the healer said to take it easy and I'm sure we could find some clothing that fits you properly." And Laven already knew he'd end up making Menel items as well. The tailor had colors and cuts of fabric sitting in his mind just waiting to be designed and worn by him.

Hopefully he wouldn't mind. Laven could tell that money was a concern for Menel, and he already knew the swordsman felt like he was indebted to Revina and Laven for paying to have his wounds repaired. Laven would be damned if he let Menel pauper himself to satisfy his own sense of right and wrong, however. He could already see the crease between Menel's eyes as he began to fret and decided that it wouldn't hurt him to spoil the younger man just a little.

Laven flashed Menel a grin and knelt to gather some of the travel worn clothing.
"Here, we can take this down to the laundry and get it going. Then maybe you'd like to go out with me? We can make it a date with a little lunch to top the whole thing off." He fixed the blue eyed swordsman with a hopeful stare, sure that the promise of food would draw Menel into agreeing.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:57 pm

With just a few words Laven casually inserted himself into Menel's plans for shopping. It was a fact that Menel didn't fail to notice but... It sounded like a good idea to him. The swordsman wasn't about to argue with a chance to spend a little or even a lot of extra time around the elf. "I'd appreciate the help actually. You know more about clothes than I do." Which meant that Menel might get better quality for his money though really Menel wasn't sure exactly how much he was going to be able to get to start with.

Quickly he gathered up his fair share of the clothes and grinned at Laven.
"Let's get going, we haven't had a proper date yet have we?" Not since that night on the roof and considering how that had ended... Menel felt they were due for something that didn't end with them fighting over a man that wasn't worth fighting over.

"I haven't gone shopping with someone else in... years." The small flicker of pain in the back of his eyes suggested the truth. He didn't have any friends. No one to shop with since Aviline had passed away.

It didn't take long for them to drop Menel's clothes in the wash, Menel finding another sock to throw in the trash before they headed out the front door. The weather was definitely cool, and it reminded the swordsman that certain anniversaries were close at hand. Those days were not today however, so Menel slid his hand into Laven's and flashed him a smile that warmed the world around him.

"So, where do you think we should start?'
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:51 pm

Hearing Menel admit how little time he had spent doing anything as basic as shopping with anyone had made Laven's heart twist. That Menel was so alone and just kept smiling like the world was a gift...

Laven wished Menel never lost that smile. Winding a scarf around his neck and then another for Menel. Watching Menel in his threadbare clothing he wanted nothing more than to keep that smile alive and thriving. To keep Menel happy.

With fingers laced together Laven lead them both down the road, turning his collar up against the chill before smiling back at Menel.
"I think the basics are a good idea first, don't you? You definitely need more socks from what I saw." Laven shook his head and laughed at himself ruefully. "But you should be making the choices, Love. You're the one that'll be wearing anything you pick out."

They walked and talked, conversation easy between them. As easy as the way they sparred and moved around each other in a fight. Laven spoke with his hands a little, sometimes using the signing speech to accentuate a point but mostly it was just his hands fluttering and shifting when he felt strongly about something. As soon as the conversation shifted he tucked his hand back into Menel's, moving close so that they were pressed just a little closer and sharing body heat as the temperature leeched warmth from their bodies.

Once they were in Roa proper the buildings cut some of the chill but Laven didn't bother pulling away from Menel, instead leaning into him whenever they paused to point out clothing places for Menel's choosing. He made sure to include thrift and stores he knew he could take down prices. But in the end, the decision had to be Menel's.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:12 pm

Menel nodded in response to Laven's suggestion before laughing ruefully. "I trust your judgement on this a lot more than mine." He smiled broadly and was really happiest just letting Laven lead the way. He might know his way around the city nearly as good as the elf, but Menel didn't know which shops would offer him the best prices for what he was looking for.

It was pleasant anyway, bumping shoulders with Laven, and more than once the swordsman was tempted to just wrap his arms around the other man. Thankfully their combined height made people give them a little space though Menel's swords might have had a little to do with that as well. If nothing else it gave any potential pick-pockets second thoughts... if any of them had been willing to tangle with Laven to start with.

Very quickly Menel proved that he was exactly right about his skills as a shopper. Not only was he very bad at picking between one product and another he was... well effectively not buying anything. He would start to consider buying something and then suddenly decide for seemingly no reason not to. He was more than willing to go into every single shop that Laven suggested but once inside the man seemed to have almost no ability to actually buy something.

After an unnaturally long period of time Menel did in fact decide on a package of socks which were on sale marked down so far that he was effectively paying barely over the cost it took to make them. Which looking at the socks in question was likely not very much at all. He asked Laven to hold them for a second while he browsed through the back area of the little store they were currently in.

The taller man disappeared for a few moments. Moments that lengthened and then lengthened. About the time that Laven started to worry that something might have happened to the swordsman there was a loud feminine exclamation from the back of the shop.
"By Aethel that looks fantastic on you!"

The exclamation was followed by a sound of applause and Menel's response. "Really? You think so?" Even his voice sounded like he was blushing.[/color][/color]

Last edited by Menel on Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:39 pm

Menel was an atrocious shopper. Laven found himself frustrated more than once but refused to act on it, letting Menel pick and choose what he did and didn't want. And it seemed that most of it was things he didn't want. Even the socks (Which Laven spent longer than he'd like to admit glaring at for their poor quality) seemed like a sacrifice to the swordsman.

When Menel left him standing and holding the atrocious things Laven's eyes darted around the store and thought about how many items they had passed over because Menel had changed his mind. He had seemed to like so many of them and yet here Laven was. Holding terrible socks. It was a relief to hear Menel speaking in the back of the store.

Abandoning the socks into a bargain bin and not feeling bad about it in the slightest Laven investigated the source of Menel's apparent embarrassment, finding the changing rooms and a single young human woman with her hands clasped together as she looked over Menel.

And found himself stopping like his feet had been glued to the floor. Red eyes wide and eyebrows almost touching his hairline in surprise. Because what Menel was wearing... Was not clothing.

It was a harness, black leather and fitted snugly over Menel's chest and torso before disappearing into his pants. And thank the stars he was wearing pants. Or Laven wasn't quite sure how he'd react. As it was he managed to snap himself out of his daze and plaster a neutral smile on his face before crossing the remaining space to stand in front of Menel.

"Love, that is.... not exactly what I was expecting you to be looking for instead of socks." Really, was Menel trying to tell him something? It seemed unlikely with how little the swordsman seemed to know about anything carnal. The saleswoman seemed pleased, looking at the elf and then back to Menel before opening her mouth to continue her sales pitch. Laven cut her off with a gentle smile. "Could you give us a moment, my dear?"

For all she seemed miffed at being dismissed she gave them some space, keeping half an eye on them as she watched for other customers. Laven raised his eyebrows again, looking up and down over Menel's expanse of muscle and leather. "Not terribly practical, though she wasn't wrong." It did look fantastic on him.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:51 pm

It took Menel a moment to realize that Laven was there, mostly because he was scrubbing his hand through his hair at the praise that the saleswoman was offering him. Honestly he wasn't sure why she was so pleased with how a bunch of leather straps clearly designed to be a framework for holding daggers looked on him Menel wasn't sure. The truth was that it did fit very comfortably, but he wasn't sure if the leather was very good quality.

Which was when he noticed Laven as if thinking about asking the elf's opinion had summoned him. He blinked a little at Laven's startled expression but the other man cleared his confusion up quickly with his words. Laven hadn't expected him to be trying on equipment rather than what he probably needed more. Still, it was hard for Menel to pass up on something that fit him comfortably and this was surprisingly comfortable. Even taking into consideration that the lower half of the leather straps was attached in a way that Menel wasn't very accustomed to. He was certain that a few hours practicing in it and he'd be able to manage just fine.

He was grateful when Laven sent the woman on, giving Laven a grin that was only slightly guilty.
"What do you mean not practical?" Menel's eyes lit a little, moving closer to Laven. He glanced once at the leather straps then stepped closer to Laven, his blue eyes flickering upwards questioningly. "Do you not like it?"

"I mean I know I didn't come here looking for it but..."
He shrugged and grinned, his fingers sliding forward to capture Laven's fingers and sort of offer one of the leather straps for the elf to feel. "It fits very well..."

His teeth flashed again. "And a guy can't use to many frames can he?"
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:28 am

Laven wasn't sure exactly where Menel had suddenly learned to flirt with him but the elf appreciated it, even pulling a little on the strap Menel had offered before returning the grin with something a little darker. He had been about to take a breath, to toss a little line back at Menel to see if he could get those cheeks blushing when...

"And a guy can't use too many frames can he?"

It took a moment to process what Menel meant and then Laven couldn't help  himself, couldn't stop the way he had to bite his lip to keep from bursting into laughter. "Is- is that what this is?" With a snort Laven couldn't stop the inappropriate laughter that bubbled out of him, clapping his free hand over his mouth and pressing the other against Menel to support himself. It was probably mean of him to laugh as hard as he did, but Menel's expression coupled with the knowledge on what exactly the swordsman was wearing without realizing it...

"It certainly is meant to sheath something." Laven almost lost his balance from laughing so hard.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:00 pm

There was definitely amusement in Laven's eyes when he bit his lip, the slightly strangled words coming out so tinged with amusement that Menel's brows immediately drew down into a confused v shape. A little snort escaped the elf and Menel's confusion only grew. "Well... isn't it?" His question didn't help. Laven let out a burst of laughter, the hand that wasn't holding the strap over Menel's chest clasping over his hand in a vain effort to contain the sound rising up from his chest.

The elf was laughing so hard that he had to support himself on Menel and all the swordsman could do was stand there in bemusement. "It certainly is meant to sheath something." Laven was doubled over with laughter and Menel wrapped an arm around him to offer support. The sound of Laven's happiness was a little contagious and though Menel was entirely out of the loop on the joke he found himself smiling broadly anyways. It warmed his heart to much to resist the expression.

Finally Menel gave Laven a little pat on the back, giving one more glance at the harness of straps that was arched over his chest and waist and buckled around a loop in the middle of his body. There were two more straps arched lower over his hip connected to a studded cup that was covered by his pants. Admittedly Menel had never seen a studded cup before but it did make a little practical sense. There was a reason some people wore metal armor after all.
"What's so funny anyway? Is it a frame for a weapon I don't have?" He could admit that he'd never seen this specific one before, but he'd assumed that it was a new style or something.

Last edited by Menel on Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:07 pm

Laven almost doubled back over, only looking up at the ceiling as if to give himself strength before he patted Menel's chest. "No, no Menel my dearest. It's absolutely meant for a weapon you have." Red eyes flicked back to Menel before he gestured with his head towards the section where he must have found the harness.

There was a tasteful sign that marked the area as 'intimates' and there were rows of other gear like Menel was wearing but also other things. While Laven recognized them for what they were he could see how the sheltered swordsman would see a whip and think it was for practical uses. How he had passed over the selections of leather obviously meant to bind and enhance the romantic lives of people Laven would never know. Unless the poor man was simply completely unaware that these things had such uses.

This was probably not the place to ask. Instead Laven chuckled and let out a breath in a sigh.
"I'm sorry, maybe that was cruel of me. But really I can see why that young lady was all aflutter." It wasn't every day a man built like Menel walked around in just a few straps of leather and his bottoms. Laven would have been a little jealous if it wasn't for the fact that Menel was just as oblivious to strangers flirting as he was to accidentally trying on bondage gear.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:33 pm

The elf seemed to make a supreme effort of will to finally control himself. Menel waited patiently for some kind of response but Menel didn't understand why Laven was laughing if it was after all the kind of gear he could use.

In fact, even when Menel looked over where Laven pointed Menel wasn't sure what to make of it. There were a few whips, and quite a few options in leather straps like Menel was wearing. The truth was he hadn't asked where the shopkeeper had gotten the straps but looking at the sign that Laven had pointed out... What did they mean by 'intimates'? It was obvious that the swordsman didn't get it at first. Menel's eyes slid over the unfamiliar section and it was when he found the... less bondage options that the meaning clicked in his mind.

Red flushed his cheeks, red that only got more pronounced when he realized that he was wearing something meant for... private moments in a very public place. Why had someone put straps, harnesses, cuffs, and whips in that section. The thought only brought a jumbled sequence of thoughts that did absolutely nothing to ease the burn that had spread over his bare chest and his ears.

"I'm sorry, maybe that was cruel of me. But really I can see why that young lady was all aflutter."

Menel turned his eyes away from... that section back to Laven. Now he felt a little embarrassed for another reason entirely.
"Oh?" The small questioning sound left him and he wondered if Laven liked it after all. He hadn't thought anything about wearing it before, and he'd gone around dressed in less really. Still, he wasn't really sure what... intimate function it served. "You do like it then?"

The swordsman looked like he might die of embarrassment on the spot, but there was a little spark of interest in his blue eyes. If Laven liked it... maybe he'd show Menel it's function. Later. At home.
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:23 pm

With a chuckle and a tug at the metal ring in the center of the getup Menel was wearing Laven pulled him a little closer and pressed a kiss to the blushing man's mouth. "I might, but that might not quite be first date knowledge." Laven winked and would have kissed Menel again if the sales clerk hadn't cleared her throat and drew his attention. With a sheepish look he released Menel and stepped back. "I think we might be scandalizing the staff."

With a gentle shooing motion Laven gestured back towards the dressing room. "Besides, I thought we were here for practical clothing, not just fun ones." If Menel really was interested Laven'd talk to him about... Well all the finer points of uncommon sex lives. It was probably a conversation well overdue at this point in their relationship, and considering Menel's naivety Laven suspected he'd have quite a but to explain.

With Menel safely changing back into his regular clothing Laven wandered towards some of the things that had been dismissed. There were shirts here of a decent weave, not the softest material but clearly meant to take abuse. Laven picked out one with shorter sleeves and another in longer, noticing that Menel had almost nothing for harsh weather.

Menel clearly needed a guiding hand that wouldn't leave him in dubious leather gear. And Laven refused to let him walk back home without anything useful. A pair of pants that seemed to have decent give but were also durable joined the small pile over his arm, and he made his way back to Menel. With raised pale eyebrows he offered his choices.
"I know you don't care about color but maybe these would suit you, Love?"
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:03 pm

Menel grinned in response to Laven's words and the kiss that came with it. That wasn't a no. Mentally the swordsman filed that, and the expression of surprise that had been on Laven's face before away for future reference. Menel hadn't even realized that the shopkeeper had come back so he was more than happy to flush again and head back into the dressing room to change back into his proper clothing.

He undressed and redressed in record time, pausing afterwards for a moment to look at the contraption of straps. A small part of his mind wondered what Laven would look like in it, and the resulting image had him putting the item back quickly enough that he nearly knocked a display over in his rush. He couldn't leave the 'intimates' section of the store fast enough. Who shopped in such places? Undoubtedly Laven could have done so without turning red as a tomato but Menel...

Thankfully Laven took to helping him after that. Menel looked over the clothes that the elf suggested and was pleased with the quality of the shirt. It wasn't even that badly priced though perhaps a bit more expensive than he would have liked. He looked at the long-sleeved shirt a bit longer, and looked it over closely.
"The tee-shirt's good are there more of them?" He'd like two if he could. "Oh... these pants are nice!" He picked them up, effectively ignoring the long-sleeved shirt entirely. "But they're the wrong size."

He grinned at Laven. "I need a little extra length because of my armor." If the pants didn't have that length they wouldn't have the give he needed once he put the armor over them. "I don't think this is going to fit though."

Menel pointed to the long-sleeved shirt and looked at it doubtfully. Not only was it nearly impossible to fit a long-sleeved shirt under his armor or over it, but it was even harder to find one that would accommodate his extremely long reach.
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:35 pm

"You could probably use a few things that aren't meant for your armor as well, yes?" Laven draped the pants neatly over his arm once again, eyeing Menel and the length of the bottoms he was wearing versus what he had seen in the store on display. "I don't think we'll be matching your leg length in any case, not here. I could hem these for you but..." The elf shrugged. "The day is young, no point in picking everything up in one store when there may be better with a little looking."

Truthfully Laven didn't want to give up on Menel getting some longer sleeved shirts but since he wasn't going to be the one wearing them he couldn't really complain. That is to say he could but what would be the point? Menel needed these to fit a certain way with his armor, and he would be the one to know what worked best. Laven's sensibilities could only go so far unless he wanted to be pushy.

And again, what was the point of that? He hadn't ever been pushy to a significant other in the past. There was no reason for him to start now. At least on clothing.

With a careful shrug Laven lifted the longer sleeved shirt as well.
"I'll return these in any case and see if there are more of the ones you did like. Why not try and find socks that won't shred after a handful of days?" Winking, Laven drifted away and sighed before making sure everything he had taken was returned to the racks as neatly as if he was an employee. He glanced up and caught the eye of the younger woman who had been fawning over Menel earlier.

"Would you be so kind as to pack these up for me and send the bill to the Brokenstrike house?" He had found a few more of the shirts Menel had liked and decided that the young man could buy the two he had liked. And Laven would gift him a few more. It wasn't as if winter solstice wasn't on the horizon. Menel might fuss over money but Laven could convince him to accept a few gifts. He smiled at the human and watched her take the clothing with a slight crease between her brows.

There was a moment of pause where she stood with the rougher fabric between her hands but before Laven could turn away or prompt her for a receipt of some kind she opened her mouth and spoke.
"You're the little elf designer downtown, aren't you?" The way she said elf gave Laven pause, and he only frowned for a split second before smoothing over his expression and offering her a charming smile in return.

"That's correct. Laven Wyld, it's a pleasure my dear." He used his most charming words and smiles and watched as her face shuttered closed for a moment despite it all. It was long enough for his shoulders to tense subtly and for him to watch her more closely. But instead she gave him a strained smile and moved to take the shirts away and box them up to be sent home.

It seemed like an age before she handed him a small recipt showing that the bill was charged to his account and the items would be on their way the next day.
"How nice of you to shop in a small local place like this when you have your own business. Aethel bless you with innovation."

"And you with iron strength." Laven was supremely uncomfortable now, seeing the way she watched and waited for him to return with some kind of pious words for her. He broke eye contact long enough to sweep the room for Menel, hoping the swordsman was close at hand.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:22 pm

Laven might have had a point about buying clothes that he could wear outside his armor, but the truth was that Menel spent so much of his life in it that the idea was more than a little foreign to him. Particularly since everything was just as comfortable when he was outside it so it largely made a lot more sense to accommodate his armor... not to mention that he carried everything he owned on his back and it just wasn't logical to drag around clothes that weren't multi-purposeful.

Thinking about it now though... He could have clothes that were just for when he wasn't wearing his armor. They could stay in the space that Laven had carved out in his wardrobe. After all, when he was home he wouldn't be wearing layers of leather.

He laughed at Laven's joke and let his eyes linger on the elf for just a little while longer. He'd called Laven's home his own without even thinking about it. He was comfortable there, safe. As much if not more so than the only other place he'd given that name to. The swordsman returned his attention to the effort of finding socks and ended up in Laven's absence brooding over options.

His natural instinct was just to pick up the least expensive option and hope that they lasted. Laven wasn't wrong though, and Menel liked to get things that would endure - when he could afford them. Begrudgingly he picked up a smaller but - hopefully - better quality package and wandered a bit to the side.

Something had caught his attention and he smiled a little when he realized what the flash of silver had led him to. Now... Menel had only bought two items of jewelry in his life. The first had been a rather simple rose on a gold chain given to Aviline a few days after he'd told her that he loved her for the first time. The other, had been the simple band of gold he'd purchased to propose to her with.

Now he found himself in front of a small display of jewelry once again and realizing that he'd never seen Laven actually wearing a pair of earrings. He had his ears pierced, but he didn't wear them. To Menel the logical conclusion was that Laven simply didn't own any... and that it would be a very nice way of thanking the other man for helping him shop.

There were so many options to choose from. Hoops and sparkling dots of gems. Swirls of metal and stone in combinations Menel had never conceived of. Some of them he dismissed out of hand as being far to complex. Or being to easy to simply rip off in a fight. He almost walked away from the display when he saw them. A pair of crimson gems suspended from gunmetal gray rings wound around the smallest flicker of blood-colored jewels. Even if someone tried to tear them off, they were not hoops so the backing would merely give way and the worst Laven would suffer was a small cut for his troubles.

Menel smiled and only briefly glanced at the price stuck on the back before shoving them under the package of socks and cheerfully making his way back to Laven. He could tell even at a distance that Laven was looking for him, so he picked up his pace and cheerfully grinned at the other man.

"I think these will work." He motioned toward the package he was holding and offered it to the saleswoman. "Here, what's in here will cover it." He pulled out his wallet and balanced it on top of the package that the woman was holding now and grinned at her.

"Could you wrap them up to go for me?"
Even if the woman was less than sure about Laven, Menel's charm seemed to warm her once again. Perhaps it was more jealousy than anything else, but either way she nodded amicably to his request and wandered off to do as he'd asked. Menel tilted his head a bit at her as she left and glanced toward Laven. "She looked a bit more tense than she did before didn't she? I hope she wasn't offended that we didn't buy that gear she showed me."

Menel dismissed the thought a moment later, returning his smile to Laven, and stepping close enough to take Laven's hand. Almost he was close enough to hug the elf but he didn't. "Did I say thank-you yet for helping me? I always feel so lost shopping. It's nice having you around." He chuckled gently. "If not for you I'd have come home with the wrong socks and the wrong gear."

He leaned in a little closer and kissed Laven very gently. The small action warmed him from head to toe, and it was entirely worth the small amount of pink that it brought to his lips. "So thank you."

There was a little cough behind them and Menel turned, automatically smiling at the woman he had heard coming but hadn't cared enough about to react to. He graciously accepted his package from her, and when she frowned he was more than a little confused but she left rather than commenting and again Menel dismissed it in favor of something else far more important.

The swordsman stuck his hand in the bag and was pleased to find that the shopkeeper had gone so far as to put his little gift in a box. Grinning he offered it to Laven, his blue eyes sparkling with merriment.
"I got this for you with my socks."
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:19 pm

Laven barely had time to shrug off his distrust towards the human woman before flashing Menel a warm smile. “I’m sure it wasn’t that, Love. Maybe some other customer being difficult to her. Not to worry.” He let his hand be stolen away, moving his thumb over the back of Menel’s hand and leaning in to the quick kiss with a smile tugging at his lips at the way Menel went pink. He murmured Menel’s name and watched as he took the package from the shop-girl, eyes crinkled into a smile as he treated the young woman with kindness despite her attitude.

But when he reached into the bag and pulled out a small box for Laven the elf smiled again.
“Really? But it’s not quite solstice yet. Shouldn’t you wait to be giving me gifts?” With a soft laugh Laven took the box, turning it over in his hands and shaking his head before meeting Menel’s eyes once more. “Though I do have to wonder what you might have gotten me to go along with your socks.”

He was clearly teasing Menel, and with a wink he returned the box to Menel’s hands. “Hold onto it for now, and when solstice comes around bring it out again.” It wasn’t that Laven didn’t want whatever Menel had been thoughtful enough to give him but Menel would surely waste all his money if he bought Laven gifts instead of things for himself.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:34 pm

It might have been somewhat less than polite, but Menel was glad for the privacy when the shop keeper wandered off in some other direction so that he could give his gift to Laven in privacy. He felt a brief swell of anticipation as the elf took the box from his fingers, looking at it contemplatively and Menel shrugged a bit before grinning.

Of course his gift didn't go with his socks.

He could tell that Laven was teasing him again and he chuckled.
"You'll see if you open it." He arched his eyebrow a bit and all but beamed. When the swordsman was enjoying himself the sensation of good will seemed to emanate off of him like a warm summer breeze.

A moment later however Laven winked and handed it back to him. Menel took the box with more than a little confusion and wondering a little to himself if this was Laven's polite way of saying he didn't want a gift at all. Menel could understand that sentiment somewhat. Maybe it was a bit odd to be buying a gift for someone he already owed money to, but it wasn't as though he wasn't going to pay back his debt. He'd work morning, noon, and night if he had to and the money he had now... well he wasn't going to complain at all if his food budget was being cut into a little.

Menel turned the little box over in his fingers, blue eyes lifting from it to Laven who didn't look unhappy.
"What does the Solstice have to do with me giving you a gift?" He tilted his head a bit. That was the best way to unravel this mystery it seemed. If he poked at Laven's reasoning a bit maybe the elf would tell him what was behind his surprising decision. The swordsman smiled a little again and made an amused noise to match it. "Time isn't going to change what's in the box you know."
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:08 pm

It took a moment for Laven’s brain come up with a possible reason why Menel didn’t understand the significance of giving gifts on solstice. It was easy to forget somehow, that Menel didn’t come from Maquina. Or at least he probably didn’t. Another conversation the two of them never seemed to have. That Laven was at time afraid to ask for the answer he knew he’d receive. So instead he wrapped his hand around the one Menel was holding the small box, squeezing gently and looking into blue blue eyes. “You’ll spoil me, giving gifts when there’s a whole holiday devoted to it right around the corner.”

Releasing Menel’s hand, Laven tipped his head towards the door and made to leave. “Besides, don’t you think you’d feel a bit silly not having a single thing to give when faced with Revina’s inevitable gift for you? Not to mention my own.” As he walked he was already thinking and making plans in his head. Usually he and his cousin didn’t do much for the celebration other than exchange a single gift and spend the time quietly beside one another with Mac.

Back into the bracing chill Laven looked at Menel through his lashes, smiling and stealing the swordsman’s hand once again.
“You’ve never celebrated Solstice in Roa, have you?” Easier to name the city than the whole landmass, to hide Menel’s probable illicit occupation of Maquina’s soil. Still, Laven pitched his voice lower and tipped his head aside so that only someone pressed close would hear their conversation. “Are you hungry? We could catch a bite and I’ll explain a little if you want.”

Already Laven’s mind was thinking of ways to ensure this was a celebration Menel would enjoy. Perhaps only half a year had passed since they’d met. But Laven hoped this Solstice would make up for the one in the summer he had thoroughly blemished.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Menel Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:16 am

An entire day devoted to giving gifts felt like an entirely foreign concept to him. It wasn't that he'd never heard of the Solstice - of course he had. He'd seen the streets decorated in the years where he spent that time of the year in the cities and towns. Heard people talking about plans for the Solstice, but he'd never been impolite enough to eavesdrop on what those plans might be and... he'd never had anyone to celebrate with. Aviline had passed away the week before the Solstice.

It was the other reason why this time of year he had to try a little harder to smile.

Though he still hesitated, thinking that a whole day devoted to gifts deserved something more than something he'd found on a whim, he decided at least for now to take Laven's advice. Maybe he could find something to go with it. Something warm to keep Laven from the cold perhaps though the elf was far more wrapped up against the cold than he was.

Their fingers threaded together quite naturally and Menel stepped close enough out of an old instinct to offer his body heat to the other man.
"No I haven't." Menel's tone was very thoughtful. He'd have to find something for Revina as well. His expression brightened somewhat. There was something he could do that was entirely within his ability to afford. All he would have to do was find a local blacksmith. They were always looking for a strong pair of arms and usually more than willing to trade.

"I know a lot of people celebrate different days. The Solstices and such but..." He shrugged. "When I was younger it wasn't something anyone had time for, and I guess I've moved around to much to celebrate anything since then." It was a tactful way of reminding Laven and himself that once he'd been considered as something... lesser. That even since then he hadn't really had a chance to form a lot of long-term attachments.

He smiled at Laven and let his fingers tighten around the elf's for a moment.
"I'd love that! You can tell me about everything you celebrate. I want to know about it all!" He wondered what Laven normally did for the Summer Solstice. Certainly he probably didn't normally celebrate it by wandering around playing darts with strange bodyguards he'd fought earlier in the day.

"Are there other special days?" He thought there was an inexpensive ramen shop a few stalls north so he led Laven in that direction. They offered free refills on this day of the week. Menel tried to quell his sudden up-swell of excitement a bit and grinned at Laven self-deprecatingly and flushed a little. "Or I guess... Start with the Solstice? Where-ever you want to."
Menel
Menel

Back to top Go down

Post by Laven Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:14 pm

Laven’s expression grew somber for a moment as he reflected on what Menel meant. Of course he wouldn’t have had many chances to celebrate the winter solstice as a child. He’d been little more than a living tool most of his youth. That he hadn’t even been able to think of himself as being real because that was all that kept him alive.

It was more than a little heart wrenching to consider. But Laven could do something about it. He could give the swordsman a good memory to rest with the bad.
“Well this year, I think you’ll have time for a little celebration, don’t you?” With Revina still working on finding out where the man who had put out a contract on Menel was, both Menel and Laven could do little but wait and try to take as low profile jobs as possible.

“Hmm, I doubt I’m a great choice to learn about the actual holiday from, though I’ll try to explain how we celebrate.” Laven let Menel lead him onwards, pressing their hands close together and leaning against the human at every pause while traffic moved around them. “I suppose I forgot how to be pious, so when I came home again we kept the holidays simple. Some special foods, recipes that take too long to be practical come out. We bake a bit, Revina doesn’t seem the type but she can make these little loaves of bread that fill the whole house with the best smell and taste divine.”

Chuckling Laven pressed his shoulder against Menel’s as he spied the little noodle house in the distance and figured that was where Menel was taking them. “Winter solstice… It’s a lot of eating and laughing at old memories and being together with the people you love, and giving gifts to show your love and gratitude to have  them in your life.” He didn’t mention the stories his grandfather would tell them. Of ballrooms and dancing until dawn and the way the chandelier in their dining room would look like it was made of diamonds and fire. He was happier with being curled up on the battered couch with Mac warming their feet and the fireplace warming the rest of them.

Once they reached the ramen shop Laven stopped narrating, waiting while they sat and Menel ordered his noodles before Laven ordered his own and resolutely put down the money for them both, giving Menel a pleasant smile.
“My treat, Love. Now after solstice there’s not that many holidays until it grows warm again. But right near the end of winter there’s a day for lovers.” Laven laughed softly and ruefully. He’d never really had any good memories for that particular day. “It’s not terribly important though. Just something to get people smiling before the snows finally melt. I don’t expect anything from it.” Especially not with Menel still hurting for money as he was now. Laven would be happy with just the two of them being together for the holiday.
Laven
Laven

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next